Copyright (c) 2013 www.acnepimplehelp.com
Studies show that teenage boys are more susceptible to developing severe forms of acne. This is also called juvenile acne and it is related to hormonal changes that happen in the body during puberty. The androgen hormones affect the hair follicle. When the hair follicle shrinks due to the effect of testosterone, the sebum gets trapped inside the skin glands and produces different forms of blemishes. The reason that teenage boys get more cystic acne than girls is that their androgen levels spike during puberty.
What measures can teenagers take to prevent and cure acne?
1. Wash your face only two times per day with a soapless soap from the pharmacy, or with a sulfur soap. Seek a dermatologist's advice and ask him or her to recommend one product for external use.
2. Drink 2-3 cups of green tea per day in order to get enough anti-oxidants and to get rid of toxins. Make sure that constipation is not an issue by drinking enough water.
3. Don't use a razor blade everyday as it can irritate your active acne and produce more scarring. Use an electric shaver instead and clean it after each use.
4. Go for sauna once a week if possible. It will help eliminate toxins faster and clear the skin.
5. Go for any type of martial arts. It will help stabilize the internal energy flow, which will also stabilize hormones.
6. Never pop pimples, and never touch your face with dirty hands.
Hormonal changes also happen in girls, but estrogen and progesterone levels are much higher than testosterone levels. Women that suffer from polycystic ovaries syndrome or PCOS usually have abnormal levels of testosterone.Dermatologists have also noticed an increased number of adult women are starting to get acne breakouts. Studies have shown that 50% of women older than 20 years of age are suffering from some form of acne. This is partially due to hormones, but it also has other underlying causes.
Causes of adult acne among women can include the following.
1. Hormonal fluctuations - Acne can be triggered by hormonal fluctuations that can happen due to various reasons. As women grow older, their hormone levels change. During perimenopause and menopause, testosterone levels start to rapidly increase. This is why many women over 40 that have never had acne, suddenly start to experience breakouts. But testosterone can also be high due to other reasons such as stress, unbalanced emotions, unhealthy diet, lack of exercise, medications, birth control pill. A good way to balance hormones is to regularly drink teas made from plants that promote the natural production of estrogen and progesterone, such as liquorice root, vitex agnus castus, lady's mantle, yarrow, dill, sage, or primrose.
2. Emotional and mental stress - It is a known fact that stress hormones can lead to an increase of androgen hormones. Higher levels of stress hormones can also lead to other imbalances, including hyperthyroidism. Getting rid of acne will first require that you get rid of stress. The immune function is also greatly diminished during stressful periods, and this can definitely lead to more bacterial infections. A form of exercise 2-3 times per week, including martial arts or tai chi, can definitely help you cope better in stressful situations. Diet is also very important, as studies show that toxins can disturb our mental and emotional functions. Drinking valerian tea or taking valerian tablets once or twice a day can also be a good way of reducing stress and promoting relaxation.
3. Make-up and cosmetic products - Women use much more cosmetic products than men do. Unfortunately, most products don't rise up to the expectation, and can end up giving you worse skin than before. Many make-up and cosmetic products are advertised as non-comedogenic. That means that they don't trigger acne breakouts. Firstly, no product can guarantee that, as many acne conditions are triggered by different factors. These products sometimes contain almost 20-30 chemicals, so it's no wonder that a person's skin can react to at least one of these ingredients. Lastly, our skin is not supposed to be covered by anything, including organic products. Our sebum needs to reach the surface and keep the skin moisturized. Blocking sebum production can only lead to more acne breakouts in the future.Whether you are a teenager or an adult, don't be tempted to be too aggressive in trying to get rid of acne. Your skin needs time to heal from inside. Applying many products on the outside is not going to solve the internal problem. Also, it could lead to other health issues that can make acne seem like nothing. Accutane, a popular cystic acne treatment can lead to mental problems, liver failure, and even suicide. Talk to your dermatologist and choose only one product to apply to your acne for at least a month. In the meantime, it is important to change your lifestyle and keep a positive outlook on life.
Recent studies reveal that acne most commonly occurs in male teenagers and female adults. Find out why this is so and way to tackle both teenage and adult acne. Visit http://www.acnepimplehelp.com for more acne fight tips. Don't forget to collect your FREE guide to making your very own cleanser, toner and moisturizer for acne-prone skin!
EasyPublish this article: http://submityourarticle.com/articles/easypublish.php?art_id=314569